Dr. Edward Hayden began his own radiology practice.
A Look at Our History
Dr. Edward Hayden was a 1925 graduate of the University of Minnesota Medical School, and completed post-graduate work in diagnostic X-ray at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and at Stanford University. He was primarily responsible for the X-ray department at the Desert Sanatorium (now known as Tucson Medical Center). He entered private practice in 1933, but remained contracted with the Desert Sanatorium to interpret X-rays. By 1939, Dr. Hayden occupied shared office space at 115 South Stone Avenue, where he had an active X-ray, radium, and pathology practice.
In 1946, Dr. Arthur Present joined Dr. Hayden’s burgeoning radiology practice. As Tucson’s medical needs grew, so did their radiology group. By 1959, they had moved to a new location at 1603 North Tucson Boulevard, and had grown to eight radiologists, including: Drs. Herbert David (Dave) Welsh, Walter T. Hileman, John A. Wilson, Frank Goodrich, André Bruwer, and James Nauman. Their partnership had contracts with St. Mary’s Hospital, Tucson Medical Center, and the Southern Pacific Hospital. In addition, the group’s radiologists worked part-time at the Pima County Hospital. The radiologists also consulted periodically at the Veterans’ Hospital and Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Dr. Nauman recalls his daily walks through town from the office to the hospital wearing the red accommodation goggles that prepared his eyes for fluoroscopy exams—something that must have presented quite a spectacle in Tucson! Other doctors were known to wear these red fluoroscopy goggles during their drive to the hospital.
In the early 1960s, with the construction of the new St. Joseph’s Hospital, the group further expanded their service to the Tucson medical community. As the 1960’s progressed, the specialty of radiology was rapidly expanding beyond mere X-rays, and it was necessary for the group to recruit younger physicians who had been trained in what were then referred to as “special procedures,” now known as Interventional Radiology. The partnership, then called the Hayden-Present Group, continued to grow throughout the decade, adding Drs. Robert Johnson, Robert Broome, Lee Taylor, Newell Richardson, and Norman Komar.
At the dawn of the 1970s, developments in radiological technology were in full swing. During this time, the group officially became known as Radiology Ltd. and continued to expand to keep pace with the community, also servicing El Dorado Hospital. In 1971, Drs. Jean-Paul Bierny and Ed Roth joined the group, Dr. Jim Stewart came in 1973, Dr. Robert Schweizer joined in 1974, and Drs. Steven Strober and Donald Jeck were added in 1975. In 1975, Tucson Medical Center acquired the first CT Scanner in southern Arizona. This breakthrough imaging technology created exams read exclusively in Tucson by Radiology Ltd. physicians. In 1976, the practice began to perform diagnostic ultrasound. Once again, Radiology Ltd.’s doctors were on the cutting-edge of medical technology advancement; something that holds true to this very day. Despite the advances in medical imaging, on-call doctors who traveled between St. Mary’s, TMC, and St. Joseph’s Hospitals had only a pager and pocketful of quarters for pay phones to keep in touch.
By the 1980s, MRI was the next advancement in radiology and Radiology Ltd. helped bring it to Tucson. TMC acquired the first MRI machine in southern Arizona in the 1980s, and those scans were again read exclusively in Tucson by Radiology Ltd. physicians.
In 1990, Northwest Diagnostic Imaging (NWDI) brings MRI to Northwest Hospital. Radiology Ltd. – St. Joseph’s Imaging Center opens and brings MRI to St. Joseph’s Hospital. In 1999, Tucson Imaging Associates expands and adds Tucson’s first open MRI. NWDI begins to offer breast MRI. Radiology Ltd. becomes a progressive technology leader in the community, by being the first practice in Tucson to implement PACS, a picture archiving and communication system. Radiology Ltd. becomes the first practice in Tucson to provide interventional neuroradiology services.
The 2000s brought expansion to Radiology Ltd. In 2003, our Rancho Vistoso Diagnostic Imaging center opened in Oro Valley. We also began to offer full field digital mammography to Tucson. In 2004, the Wilmot office opens as the nation’s largest fully digital imaging center and we also opened the doors to our La Cholla Diagnostic Imaging center. In 2006, our Camp Lowell Imaging Center opens and offers CT/PET services. By 2008, Radiology Ltd. – Carondelet Imaging Center opens on the St. Joseph’s Hospital campus. In 2009, we opened of our Midvale Diagnostic Imaging Center, bringing advanced imaging to southwest Tucson.
In 2014, the addition of 3D mammography, or tomosynthesis, is brought to the Wilmot and La Cholla sites. This offers women another tool in the detection of breast cancer. We also became the first practice in southern Arizona to offer NeuroQuant® Brain MRI, a quantitative brain image analysis tool. In 2016, Radiology Ltd. was proud to offer Tucson patients the newest 3 Tesla (3T) Open Bore Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in the community. 3T MRI allows for exceptional visualization of smaller anatomical structures.
Dr. Edward Hayden began his own radiology practice.
As Dr. Hayden’s practice grew he expanded and Dr. Arthur Present joined the practice.
Radiology moved beyond X-ray. “Interventional Procedures” were added.
The expanded group of doctors officially became known as Radiology Ltd.
TMC acquired the first CT scanner in southern Arizona- exams read exclusively by Radiology Ltd.
The practice began performing diagnostic ultrasounds.
Radiology Ltd. helps TMC bring the first MRI to southern Arizona and read the exams exclusively.
St. Joseph's Imaging Center (SJIC) opens and brings MRI to St. Joseph's Hospital.
Radiology Ltd. becomes the first practice in Tucson to provide interventional neuroradiology services.
Radiology Ltd. offers 3D mammography to women as another tool in the detection of breast cancer.
Radiology Ltd. is proud to offer Tucson patients the newest 3T Open Bore MRI in our community.